From the Principal
The third grade classes would like to invite all White Oaks families to join us in donating toys for Samaritan House, an organization that serves those in need, in San Mateo County. Please place new, unwrapped toys in the blue barrels outside of the office,October 31st through November 29th. Thank you for supporting our community.
- Make-up Picture Day is tomorrow, Monday, 10/29
- Please DO NOT park in the loading zones on Fairmont and White Oak Way during drop-off and pick-up. The congestion caused by parked cars is a safety hazard for our students. If you need to get out of your car, park on a curb that is not painted white.
- Check the LOST and FOUND for any items of clothing your child might have lost. We have already accumulated many clothes, lunch boxes, and water bottles. We hope you are able to find your lost items before they are donated during Thanksgiving Break.
- Please make sure to notify the office if you are dropping off your child after school has started or if you are picking up them up early. It is important that both your teacher and the office know if your child is on campus.
Leah Scholer, Principal
School News and Events
White Oaks PlayPod Volunteers Needed!
The White Oaks Playpod provides students with a unique area of play during lunchtime recess. The Playpod is open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and we need volunteers to help monitor students. Please click here to sign-up. Questions? Contact Jen Pedrotti.
Order Your 2018-2019 White Oaks Yearbooks Today
2018-2019 Yearbooks are for sale! They can be purchased directly from Jostens here. Yearbooks are $25 each, and the sales deadline is Friday, December 21, 2018. Yearbooks are distributed the last week of school by your student's teacher.
We don't have a lot of extras to sell at the end of the school year, so buy your yearbook now to reserve a copy. Please contact Teresa Williams with any questions via email or 650-508-7317.
Our Halloween parade will begin at 8:45 am on Wednesday, Oct. 31. After students line up and leave the playground to go to class, parents and other guests will gather along the outer edges of the playground. Students will return to parade through the middle of the yard. In the event of rain, we will parade under the eaves along the classrooms. We wish you a safe and happy Halloween, and look forward to a wonderful parade!
A few reminders:
- Students should wear costumes to school. Please label all costume parts with your child’s name and room number.
- Following the parade, students will remove costumes. Children should wear school appropriate clothes under costumes, or bring a change of clothes. Please send a bag for your child’s costume.
- Please ensure that your child wears sturdy, safe shoes.
- Please leave all props at home. We want to be sure that our trick-or-treaters don’t leave anything behind!
- Many children are frightened by scary costumes, and we appreciate your help in adjusting costumes so that they are “school friendly”.
- Weapons are never allowed at school, including pretend weapons
White Oaks Holiday Store - Help Needed!
It takes a lot of help to make this cherished White Oaks tradition a great success. Currently we are specifically looking for help with a couple of simple, straight line sewing projects. Please contact Kirsten Kell if you have sewing abilities to share.
Pick-a-Project will be in early November. For those new to this event, you take home a kit that has all materials and instructions necessary to assemble a certain number of gifts. When they are ready, you bring them back! On the day of the event, White Oaks students buy gifts to give to family members for the holidays. Most projects require NO crafty abilities and are very easy to put together.
Holiday Store Key Dates:
- 11/27/18 Pick-a-Project returned to PTA work room
- 11/29/18 & 12/3/18 Project Parties in the MU; 7:00pm-9:00pm
- 12/7/18 Event Set Up in the MU; 2:40 pm
- 12/8/18- the EVENT!! 9:00am-12:00pm
Good Eggs Fundraiser
Get your Halloween treats delivered by Good Eggs and 5% goes back to White Oaks Elementary School.
Get wholesome candy, handmade baked goods, jack o' lanterns, autumnal DIY pizzas, and more straight to your doorstep.
How to join the fundraiser:
1. Visit schools.goodeggs.com.
2. Enter the code WHITEOAKS18 –– click "Shop Now."
3. Add your groceries to your Good Eggs basket and check out.
**New customers get $15 off with this code and if 20 new customers join the fundraiser, our school also gets a $500 fundraising bonus.
New Student Registration Parent Information Night for 2019-2020
Tuesday, November 13, 2018 6:30-8:00PM
Central Middle School’s Gym (757 Cedar Street)
Enrollment for kindergarten/transitional kindergarten begins November 1, 2018! The Parent Information Night is designed to provide parents/guardians with information about the San Carlos School District and it’s programs and to address any questions that they might have regarding the registration process. Should you have any questions about this event or the registration process please contact the District Office at 650-593-1452.
SCEF News and Events
8th Annual Halloween Candy Buy-Back
Enjoy some of your Halloween treats and then donate the rest! Drop-off your Halloween Candy at your school’s office November 1-7th. Local dentists Drs. Amin, Chang and Kaher will donate $1 per pound of wrapped candy to SCEF, and Operation Gratitude with Estes Express Shipping will ship the candy to our troops overseas. Support our troops and support your school!
Get your Faculty and Friends Concert tickets now at:
On November 9th at 7pm, join our SCSD music teachers, local musicians and community members for an evening of live music. This popular event, held at St. Charles Church in San Carlos, is great for the whole family. Refreshments will be available for sale at intermission. Support SCEF, music in our schools and enjoy our local musicians.
SCEF Raffle for a Fantastic Spring Break Vacation, March 30-April 6, 2019
Win a Vacation Rental for Spring Break in Orlando, and make your family’s Florida vacation dream come true!
Win a 6-night stay in a two-bedroom villa at Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas at Lake Buena Vista in Orlando. Sleeps 8.
Drawing on November 30, 2018 at 7pm during Night of Holiday Lights on Laurel Street in San Carlos. Get your tickets by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ticket prices are: 1 for $25, 3 for $60, 5 for $100
Thank you Sponsors!
Our heartfelt thanks to our Gold Sponsors: Alten Construction, Absolute Electrical, Bolar Painting & Drywall, CB Showers, GDA Commercial, IABA, Lyngso Garden Material, PTA, Tavarez Orthodontics
Community News and Events
Parent Education Opportunity - My Digital Tat2 - Nov. 14
The SCSD PTA Coordinating Council (PTACC) is funding a special presentation by Gloria Moskowitz-Sweet PPSC, LCSW on Nov. 14th from 6:30-8pm at the district office (1200 Industrial Road). Gloria was a university lecturer for 20 years and has over 30 years of experience as a school social worker, specializing in the social emotional well being of children and teens.
- Evolving digital landscape and current trends
- Emotional and psychological responses
- Technology and social media
- Responding to challenging issues, such as techno-perfection, digital distraction, sleep, and sexting
- Strategies to engage your child with constructive conversation and promote media balance for the entire family
My Digital TAT2 has worked with over 20,000 Bay Area students, parents, and educators, facilitating discussions about the role of social media in their lives.
My Digital TAT2 is a non-profit organization. Learn about our mission and how to support our work: www.mydigitaltat2.org