From the Principal
As a school, we are dedicated to creating and maintaining a culture of kindness and inclusion. The mission of Ability Awareness week throughout the San Carlos School District is to promote understanding, acceptance, and appreciation of individual learning and ability differences through fun, experiential activities.
Students will be engaging in various activities throughout the week giving them a chance to experience what it is like to complete a basic task while having a learning or developmental difference. Students will all have a set of common experiences through activities already taking place on campus to spark discussion, increased understanding and compassion.
Some of the highlights of what will be happening in our school this week are:
- An Ability Awareness section in our school library.
- "Learn Your Name in Sign Language" posters.
- Legarza PE coaches will be adapting PE into "Ability Stations."
- School counselor led sessions in classes that relate to compassion and inclusion.
- A variety of other classroom lessons and activities taught by teachers on what it is like to have a learning or developmental difference.
- Various assemblies including performances by the College of Adaptive Arts, a visit from Guide Dogs for the Blind - Puppies in Training, and also Canine Companions.
Some of the highlights of what happening District-wide this week are:
- Tuesday, March 19th at 7:00 p.m. at Heather Elementary MUR. Everyone is welcome to come to this workshop on Growth Mindset for Students with Special Needs and Their Families presented by Eric Elliott, Education Psychologist, Lani Hessen, Occupational Therapist and Lisa Valerio, Mom and Advocate.
- Support World Down Syndrome Day on Thursday, March 21st by wearing odd socks! Down Syndrome a congenital disorder caused by having an extra 21st chromosome.
- District-wide Movie Night featuring, SOUL SURFER! Friday, March 22nd at 6:30 PM at Heather Elementary MUR. Runtime: 105 minutes Rated: PG (check it out on Common Sense Media) Bring your blankets, sleeping bags and pillows to the MUR. Food will be available for purchase in the concession area (most items are $1-2)* Times: Concessions open @ 6:10 PM Movie starts @ 6:30 PM Food: Concessions will be for sale and proceeds will support PTA. We will have food such as, pizza, hot dogs, popcorn, chips and juice boxes available. Fruits and veggies will be provided for free. *Proceeds from the concession sales help offset movie licensing fees. *Please note: While this is not a drop-off event, feel free to coordinate with other families to share child care. Volunteer: It's a great night and we can use your help! Sign-up HERE.
(Ability Awareness week is organized by the SCSD Special Education District Advisory Council and supported by your PTA Coordinating Council.)
Leah Scholer, Principal
School News and Events
Hey Batter Batter!
HEY, SPORTS FANS!!!
Don’t forget to watch the Stanford Cardinal take on the Utah Utes at our FAMILY FUN DAY baseball event on Sunday 3/24. White Oaks students get to sing the national anthem on the field, and 11 lucky raffle winners will be able to participate in 1-of-a-kind stadium fun.
Date: Sunday, March 24th – arrive 12:15PM for 1:00PM game start
Location: Stanford University, Palo Alto (Sunken Diamond)
Ticket Purchase Link: GoStanford.com/promo-code
Ticket Promo Code: WHITEOAKS
Tickets $7 each. Must purchase one ticket for each person attending.
All family is welcome.
Food & Drink: You may bring in sack lunches if you’d like, or you can purchase concessions at the stadium.
As reminder, a flyer with the game details and raffle entries came home in your child’s green folder. Please submit your raffle entries to the White Oaks office (additional flyers available there too). Deadline for raffle entries is Monday, 3/18. Deadline for ticket purchase is Thursday, 3/21.
Support the Good Eggs Spring Fundraiser this week (send a gift order and earn a $20 credit)
Send a gift order to someone new to Good Eggs and earn a $20 credit to your account (this week’s promotion runs 3/18-3/24).
Have a friend or family member who hasn’t tried Good Eggs yet?
Send them a food gift this week, and you’ll earn credit in your Good Eggs account when your gift order is delivered!
How to join the fundraiser:
1. Visit schools.goodeggs.com
2. Enter the code WHITEOAKS19 –– click "Shop Now"
3. Add your groceries to your Good Eggs basket and check out.
New customers get $15 off with this code and if 20 new customers join the fundraiser, our school also gets a $500 fundraising bonus.
Fundraiser terms & details
5% will count back to the school on all orders placed between February 25 and April 30.
Gifts must be sent to those who haven’t placed an order with Good Eggs before.
No gift card purchase - gift orders placed for food items only. Add in the gift delivery address and select “gift order” at checkout to qualify.
Good Eggs is an online grocery market in the Bay Area delivering absurdly fresh groceries. Shop today for same-day delivery straight to your doorstep––no subscription required. Delivery is free on all orders over $60.
The White Oaks PTA extends its deep appreciation for local mosaic tile artist Barbara Bussler and all the parents and White Oaks alumni helpers who worked diligently over the President's Week break in rain and cold to install our beautiful tile wall and make our new playground possible. Barbara is an incredibly talented, local artist who generously donated her time and many of the supplies to create the beautiful "Giving Tree" tile wall. We are grateful for this special gift she has given to our community. Barbara has an art studio in town and also hosts birthday parties. Check out her site at:https://www.mosaicsandmore.com.
District News and Events
Weekly Parent Support Group
Thursday evenings at Heather Elementary School Library from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. This week we delve further into our exploration of conflict, with a focus towards how we help our children develop skills to deal with conflict. The group is free to parents in the San Carlos School District. This is an opportunity to meet fellow parents in the school district community!To RSVP go to this link and purchase your free ticket:https://www.eventbrite.com/e/parent-support-group-san-carlos-school-district-tickets-53717537601
Ability Awareness Week
Ability Awareness Week is sponsored by the Special Education District Advisory Council. It is celebrated throughout the San Carlos School District March 18-22.
Our mission is to promote understanding, acceptance and appreciation of individual learning and ability differences through fun, experiential activities.
Join us for a Growth Mindset Workshop on Tuesday, March 19th at 7:00 p.m. at Heather MUR.
Ask you student(s) what activities they participated in. Have them tell you about the AAW assembly!
Remind them to wear awesome Odd Socks on Thursday, March 21st in support of World Down Syndrome Day!
Come to Movie Night featuring Soul Surfer on Friday, March 22nd at 6:30 p.m. at Heather MUR.
SCEF News and Events
REVEL AT DEVIL’S!
On May 4, 2019, join us at for the annual community event at Devil’s Canyon and enjoy live music by the Best of the 80s: Tainted Love! Ticket price is $75 per person and $35 per teacher/staff. Price includes entrance to Devil's Canyon, one drink ticket, as well as dinner from food trucks & dessert table.
Buy your tickets now and pick one up for your favorite educator too!
Go to: www.scefkids.org/reveltickets
Did You Miss Out?
Did you miss out on Gala online auction items, or grabbing a spot for your child to go on their teacher’s outing? The POST EVENT "auction" site has many items still available! All teacher outings are for sale at Fixed, Buy-it-Now prices.
Check them out at: https://scefkids2019.ggo.bid.
San Carlos Chickens’ Ball
Do you want to be part of the oldest competition in San Carlos? Do you have the charm, the looks, the charisma to join the fun of Chickens’ Ball? Chickens’ Ball is the oldest school district fundraiser, raising money for schools through hilarious skits, song and dance since 1940. You are invited to attend one of the upcoming Chickens’ Ball Skit Writing meetings: April 13, 2019 10:00am-11:30am at San Carlos Library, Room A and April 30, 2019 7:30pm-9pm at San Carlos Library, Room A. Send 1 or more person to the meeting to get all the information you need to write the skit for the show.
Follow with Chickens’ Ball on Facebook @Chickensball.
Contact your PTA group to learn more!
San Carlos Earth Day Clean-up 2019
Want to make a difference this Earth Day? Roll up your sleeves and join the City of San Carlos on Saturday, April 20 from 9 to 11 a.m. to clean up downtown Laurel Street.
This fourth annual Earth Day event is a great way for community members to be a part of on-going efforts to increase sustainability while keeping our City clean and beautiful.
For more information or to sign-up by April 5 visitwww.cityofsancarlos.org/earthdaysignup.