From the Principal
October 23-27 is conference week at White Oaks. All students will attend 8:35 am – 12:35 pm so that teachers can meet with parents in the afternoon. We look forward to partnering with you in support of your child’s happiness, engagement, and success.
What to Expect at the Conference
- Time to share your hopes and questions with the teacher
- An update on your child’s progress, with a focus on the academic, social and/or emotional goals that are most relevant for your child
- Samples of “on grade level” work to help you gauge your child’s current progress and where next steps fall on a continuum of learning
- Tools for home, including a homework menu with recommendations about which options best match your child’s learning goals
Share Your Feedback
We want to know how our approach is working to empower parents with early and ongoing feedback about student progress, as well as resources to help at home. Please share your feedback directly with your child’s teacher throughout the year. In next weekend’s WOW, you also will find a link to our four question survey with the following prompts.Considering your October conference and classroom communications, how well
do you. . .
- Know what your child is learning in class
- Understand your child’s learning goals
- Understand how your child is progressing
- Know how you can support your child’s learning at home
We look forward to your feedback, and the opportunity to talk about your child’s personal learning strengths and goals during the week ahead.
With gratitude for your partnership,
Allison Liner and The White Oaks Staff
Operation Gratitude-Halloween Candy Buy Back
Halloween is just around the corner. Don’t get bogged down in candy…bring your extras to your school office between Nov 1-6.
San Carlos dentists Drs. Amin, Chang & Kaher will donate $1 per pound of wrapped candy collected to SCEF, matching up to $3500!
All candy will be shipped to our troops overseas as part of Operation Gratitude.
Support our troops and support SCEF!
SCEF is proud to host this year’s Faculty and Friends Concert
Tickets to this top quality music concert are selling out fast! The San Carlos School District music teachers will perform with other professional musicians at the annual Faculty and Friends Concert
On: November 3, 2017 at 7pm
St. Charles Church, 880 Tamarack Ave, San Carlos
This is the 12th year running for this amazing concert. Don’t miss your chance to hear exceptional music! Buy your tickets here. All proceeds benefit the music programs in our district’s middle schools.
Kick off the holiday season by attending one of our extremely popular parent hosted parties. Meet other families in our communities…make new friends! For a full list of parties click here.
School News and Ev<ents
SMART-E Enrichment Classes
SMART-E Enrichment classes are postponed this week due to parent-teacher conferences.
Our parade will begin at 8:45 am on Tuesday, October 31. After students line up and leave the playground to go to class, parents and other guests will gather along the outer edges of the playground. Students will return to parade through the middle of the yard. In the event of rain, we will parade under the eaves along the classrooms. We wish you a safe and happy Halloween, and look forward to a wonderful parade!
- Students should wear costumes to school. Please label all costume parts with your child’s name and room number.
- Following the parade, students will remove costumes. Children should wear school appropriate clothes under costumes, or bring a change of clothes. Please send a bag for your child’s costume.
- Please ensure that your child wears sturdy, safe shoes.
- Please leave all props at home. We want to be sure that our trick-or-treaters don’t leave anything behind!
- Many children are frightened by scary costumes, and we appreciate your help in adjusting costumes so that they are “school friendly”.
- Weapons are never allowed at school, including pretend weapons.
- Teachers will coordinate classroom celebrations and volunteers.
Support Our PTA
Thanks to all of you who have joined the PTA already. Your California State PTA membership card, which offer member perks and discounts, and your Baskin-Robins PTA discount card, are available for pick up in the office.
If you haven’t joined the PTA yet, it’s not too late! Purchase your membership online today here and make a difference in the education and quality of life for all White Oaks students! Your support helps our PTA fund enrichment programs such as Art in Action, family fun events, classroom supplies and so much more.
Kindergarten/Transitional Kindergarten registration is now open!
Registration for all grades is now open (October 9, 2018) for any NEW incoming students. The registration process is centralized at the District office for all schools except the San Carlos Charter Learning Center (please visit their website for their registration procedures). Please do NOT go to individual schools to register. If your child is a current student at one of the schools of the San Carlos School District schools in either transitional kindergarten, kindergarten or grades 1 to 8, you are not required to re-register during this window.
For all students currently attending a SCSD school for the 2017-2018 school year, an email with your child’s InfoSnap code and instructions will be sent out later in April 2018 for you to re-register your child online and no action is required at this time. For questions regarding the registration process, please contact the District Registrar at (650)508-7333 or visit the District website.
Community News and Events
Please visit our Community Corner for this week’s Community News!
Other Community News
- 2018 San Carlos Chicken’s Ball; Time Stands Still: A Review of Broadway Here and There
- Belmont United Soccer Club programs
- Help the Northern California Fire Victims
- Juventus Soccer Open House 11/13-11/16
- Need childcare during Thanksgiving Holiday Week?
- PTA Parent Ed Opportunity – Learn how to help and prevent stress and bullying
- Time to register for Recreation Youth Basketball