From the Principal
At Back to School Night, you heard about our goals for the year, as well as our plans for personalizing learning at White Oaks. If you haven’t already, please take time to review the information you received, and contact your child’s teacher with any questions. We look forward to partnering with you during conference week to ensure that your child’s learning journey is full of wonder, challenge and success.
- Increase rigor, student ownership, and engagement to support learning
- Empower parents with early and ongoing feedback about student progress, as well as resources to help at home
Resources to Learn More – What, Why, How?
Personalizing Learning: Conference week and our plans for sharing information about student progress
The “Yes – Homework” policy – Look for your child’s homework menu this month!
Also, you may want to check our website for information on How We Learn and Academic Excellence at White Oaks.
Allison Liner, Principal
Exclusive Real Estate Offers from Bob Bredel to support SCEF !
Our exclusive real estate sponsor Bob Bredel has two great offers to support SCEF.
Check it out here.
Thank You Bob Bredel for your generosity!
SCEF also thanks our Platinum and Gold Sponsors for their support!
Alten Construction, JM Lehman Construction—Matt Lehman, Wells Fargo, Windy Hill Property Ventures
Absolute Electrical- Miriam and Jeff Jonah, Bolar Painting-Carrie Banks and Rob Davies, Hyland Design Group, LT & Associates-Laura Teutschel, Lyngso Garden Materials, Palo Alto Medical Foundation, PG&E, San Carlos/Belmont Parents’ Club, San Carlos PTA,
Check out our SCEF Market Place
Be sure to shop at and thank these local businesses and community organizations for their commitment to keeping our schools strong.
SCEF is Proud to Host This Year’s Faculty and Friends Concert
This is your chance to listen to top quality music right here in our town! The San Carlos School District music teachers will perform with other professional musicians at the annual Faculty and Friends Concert.
Date: November 3, 2017 at 7pm
Location: St. Charles Church, 880 Tamarack Ave, San Carlos
This is the 12th year running for this amazing concert. Don’t miss your chance to hear exceptional music! Buy your tickets on the SCEF website. All proceeds benefit the music programs in our district’s middle schools.
School News and Events
Conference Week – Minimum Days
During the week of October 23-27, all students will attend from 8:35 am – 12:35 pm so that teachers can meet with parents/guardians in the afternoon. If you need a reminder about your conference time, please connect with your child’s teacher. We look forward to rich conversations about your child’s learning and goals!
When the air quality improves, we will hold our annual Emergency Evacuation drill along with all schools across the district. Monthly, our school practices safety drills, including secure campus and lock down drills. We work closely with our district office and the Sheriff’s office to review procedures, utilizing the Big Five protocols identified by the San Mateo County Coalition for Safe Schools and Communities.
Please review the information below:Be familiar with the terms we use to communicate about emergencies: Summary of the Big 5
- Be familiar with the terms we use to communicate about emergencies: Summary of the Big 5
- In the event of a significant emergency, parents will receive a phone call and email from our emergency broadcast system. Parents also may opt-in to receive a text message during the annual Infosnap registration process, or by texting “yes” to 67587. Please do not call the school office during an emergency
- In the event of evacuation requiring student release, parents and caregivers will pick up at the Fairmont Street gate (outside the office). Please bring ID. All other gates in the evacuation area will be locked. If campus evacuation is required, students will be moved to Burton Park. In both cases, parents and caregivers must check in at the Student Release Station.
- Students will be released only to adults listed as “approved” by parents on the child’s emergency contact information. If you need to update your child’s emergency contact information, you may do so via the annual Infosnap process or by contacting the school office at 650-508-7317 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Update from the School Counselor
Your children are learning social and emotional skills through regular classroom lessons and reinforcement throughout the school day. Many of the classes are learning the importance of taking another person’s perspective and delivering a sincere apology using a tool called the “4-Square Apology”.
Each square prompts the children about the components of an apology and supports students in planning what they will say:
- What I did to hurt somebody
- What I did to hurt somebodyHow the person felt
- How the person felt
- What I can do next time
- How I’ll make it up to the person
We’ll continue to practice at school, and you also may want to give your children an opportunity to practice the 4-square apology at home in order to support their development of empathy and perspective taking.
Laura Macfarlane, Counselor
Support White Oaks School Through Our Good Eggs Fundraiser!
1. Fill your basket with all the best food (farm fresh produce, meal kits, kid’s school lunches, sustainable meats & seafood, staples and more) for same-day delivery on Good Eggs.
2. At checkout, enter the code WHITEOAKS to get $25 off and automatically enroll — you only need to enter this code once and it will remain in your checkout during the campaign (Oct-Nov).
3. Enjoy! You just discovered the easiest and most delicious way to support our school. All your orders moving forward will count toward the fundraiser that gives 10% back to White Oaks.
Contact Katie Gadsby for more information.
New Bike Rack
It’s great to see so many students walking, biking or scooting to school. Please note that a new bike rack has been installed near the rear exits of classrooms 10 and 11. It is located against the After School building facing White Oak Way.
Community News and Events
Please visit our Community Corner for this week’s Community News!
- 2018 San Carlos Chickens’ Ball
- Time Stands Still: A Review of Broadway Here and There
- CERTIFICATED SUBSTITUTES NEEDED!
- Free October 22 Scavenger Hunt
- Healthy Cities Tutoring News – It’s Almost Here!
We’re hoping you can join us on Wednesday, Oct. 18 at the orientation for new volunteers to be become Healthy Cities tutors! There are two (identical) sessions being offered: 8:30-10:30 am and 6:30-8:30 pm. at White Oaks School. No RSVP is needed.
We welcome your help to give a little extra guidance to a student at one of our schools. You can choose the school, grade level and time.
When asked how we could make the program better, a number of students gave us this response:
We hope you can help us reach more students on our waiting lists. Thank you! www.healthycitiestutoring.org
- Legarza Veteran’s Day All-Sports Camp
Other Community News
- FORCE NORTH SOCCER TRYOUTS IN NOVEMBER
- Goblin Walk
- Help the Northern California Fire Victims