Please take a few minutes to review these helpful tips from school counselor, Laura Macfarlane.
Happy Fall! Your children are working hard to learn the routines and expectations that come with a new school year. They are learning classroom rules, expected playground behaviors and how to transition from home to school, from parents to teachers and from siblings to peers. For some children, this settling in process seems smooth, and for others it takes longer and may require additional support and effort.
One of the big transitions happens when parents and children say goodbye at the start of each school day. If you notice that your child is currently having difficulty with this transition, here are some tips that may be helpful.
- Say a quick goodbye (kiss, hug, etc,) to your child and if needed, leave your child with one of the staff members who is on yard duty in the morning. You can let the yard duty person know that your child is having a hard time saying goodbye and we can help your child get settled. The tears tend to go away pretty quickly once parents are off campus.
- If your child is having difficulties with good-byes, I recommend having one good-bye, rather than multiple good-byes. For example, one goodbye at the playground rather than a goodbye at the playground and then another goodbye when your child is walking to class.
- Don’t try to talk your child out of their sad or nervous feelings. Acknowledge that they feel scared, sad, worried, nervous and then go forward with your drop-off routine. Help your child see themselves as being brave despite their worries.
- You can ask your child what they are worried about related to the goodbye. Write down the worries with them and see if any of the worries are a problem that can be solved. If so, decide on a possible solution and test it out.
- You can ask for assistance from me or another adult at W.O. I can create a goodbye transition plan if necessary.
Watching your children stretch and grow these first weeks of school is inspiring.
Laura Macfarlane, LCSW, PPS
White Oaks Counselor
Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays
Allison Liner, Principal
Evening At Town a Rousing Success!
The Evening at Town event was a great success!
Many thanks to our district wide organizing committee led by Co-Chairs Jayne Smith and Roberta Marks: Tanya Lehman, Madhura Kumar, Natalie Joyce.
SCEF also thanks Greg St Claire and Avenir Restaurant Group, Bob Bredel and our mobile bidding sponsor Absolute Electrical for their generous support.
SCEF is Proud to Host This Year’s Faculty and Friends Concert
This is your chance to listen to top quality music right here in our town! The San Carlos School District music teachers will perform with other professional musicians at the annual Faculty and Friends Concert.
Date: November 3, 2017 at 7pm
Location: St. Charles Church, 880 Tamarack Ave, San Carlos
This is the 12th year running for this amazing concert. Don’t miss your chance to hear exceptional music! Buy your tickets on the SCEF website.
All proceeds benefit the music programs in our district’s middle schools.
School News and Events
Walk to School Wednesday
Join us for Walk to School Wednesday on October 4th. Walk, roll or bike to school and collect a charm from our volunteers. We will be handing out charms outside the office and at the entrance gates from 8:15.
In addition, this is also National Walk to School Day. There will be prizes for those who arrive at school in any means other than a single occupancy vehicle. Choosing active transportation is a great way to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution while improving physical and mental health.
For safety information please see the Safe Routes to School Pamphlet.
Keep Our Kids Safe
Fall is a great time to walk, bike, or scooter to school to meet new people, enjoy a calm start, and get some physical activity before the rush of the day begins. With your help, we also can reduce motor vehicle congestion around our school.
If you must arrive in a vehicle, please help us keep traffic moving safely and efficiently.
- Pull up for curbside exit. Do not ask children to cross the street.
- Follow all traffic laws. Do not pull into the lane of oncoming traffic to drop off students. Please do not make a U-turn. These actions are very unsafe for students and disrupt the flow of traffic.
- Keep drop off zones and our neighbors’ driveways free of parked cars. Please remember that the cul-de-sac on White Oak Way is a no parking zone.
Thank you for your help in keeping our kids safe.
Photo Day Schedule and Volunteers
It’s school photo week! Please return the registration form by Monday, October 2 if you want to receive proofs via the online viewing site. You do not need to pre-pay or order until after you view the proof images.
Here is the classroom photo schedule for the week:
Monday, October 2: Norgaard, Eaton
Tuesday, October 3: Ratcliffe/Hardie, McGuigan, Martin
Wednesday, October 4: Andersen/Cohen
Thursday, October 5: Fox-Sennett, Richards/Hardie, Mitchell-Ardwan
Friday, October 6: Brenner, Murgo, Bishop
We still need volunteers to help the kids get to and from the classroom, assist while they are waiting in line, and keep track of the photo frame number once the picture is taken. Please sign up here.
Hearing and Vision Testing
School nurses will begin hearing and vision testing for students in TK, K and Grade 2 in October. Parents will be notified if the nurses have any concerns about a child’s result.
Please visit our Community Corner for this week’s Community News!
- Fun SCCT Fundraiser
- Healthy Cities Tutoring News – Tutor Training Oct. 18
Healthy Cities tutoring provided tutors for 325 students at the seven SCSD schools during the 2016-2017 school year. Additional tutors are needed again this year to meet the need. Healthy Cities Tutoring News – Tutor Training Oct. 18
Additional tutors are needed again this year to meet the need.
Volunteers range in age from 14-94 and no prior tutoring experience is needed – just an interest in helping a child for 45 minutes once a week. Scheduling is flexible, before, during or after school.
Where: White Oaks School, Multi-use Room
When: October 18
Time: Two identical sessions offered: 8:30-10:30 AM and 6:30-8:30 PM.
We need more tutors like YOU! Hope you can join us on October 18th.
Questions please call 508-7327 or go to HCT website
Other Community News
- October 9th Tennis Camp